Written by Team Juggernaut
[dropcap4]T[/dropcap4]he last six weeks have been intense in preparation for this weekends upcoming Jiu Jitsu Gi Nationals in Long Beach, CA. I have a group of six black belts and one purple belt that I have been preparing from a strength and conditioning standpoint. This group trains three times a week at Juggernaut on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and is on the mat at least Monday, Wednesday and Friday of each week. Five of these athletes just started with me this past six week period and had no real exposure to strength training before. The template that I used for this group is as follows…
- Superset of Jumping and Medball Throws
- Trap Bar Deadlifts to heavy sets of 3-8, accessory upper back work was performed between sets
- Superset of Horizontal Pulling, Pushing on an unstable surface (ie Blast Strap Pushups or Crazy Bells Press) and Posterior Chain Work
- 10 Minutes of Conditioning – This day is usually devoted to sled dragging variations and farmers walks.
- Bodyweight Core Work
- Weighted Jumping
- Superset of Dumbbell Pressing and Vertical Pulling for sets of 6-12 reps
- Superset of Posterior Chain, Horizontal Pulling, Unilateral Lower Body and Upper Back Work
- 10 Minutes of Conditioning – Today’s conditioning is usually focused more around cardiac work, since the following day’s training would be very taxing to all systems. We would often use treadmill intervals combined with medicine ball core work.
Today is devoted to energy system circuits. Because the black belt’s fights last for up to 10 minutes, all circuits lasted 10 minutes in duration. We began with two 10 minute circuits and would add five minutes each week.
The circuits consisted of total body strength work, cardiac work, aerobic and anaerobic capacity training and lactic threshold work.
This past week’s training was as follows…
- Tire Fight for 50 seconds
- Prowler Fight for 50 seconds
- Sledgehammer work for 50 seconds
- Jumps onto tire for 50 seconds
- Partner Resisted Running for 50 seconds
- Partner Restisted Running for 50 seconds
- Hand over hand sled pulls and push for 50 seconds
- Plank Variations for 50 seconds
- Battle Ropes for 50 seconds
- Run on treadmill at 10 degree incline for 50 seconds
The athletes had 10 seconds to change from station to staion.
Here is a video of my athletes, Kayron Gracie, Mikey Gomez, Fabricio Pitanguy, Bruno Antunes, Fabiana Borges and Jeff Shulze performing the above circuit…
I’m expecting big things from these athletes this weekend and in all their competitions to come.