Training for the 2013 LA Fit Expo Strongman and to become a strength legend
Chad Wesley Smith is the founder and head physical preparation coach at Juggernaut Training Systems. Chad has a diverse athletic background, winning two national championships in the shot put, setting the American Record in the squat (905 in the 308 class, raw w/ wraps) and most recently winning the 2012 North American Strongman championship, where he earned his pro card.
I want to be a legend, a true strength athlete, capable of competing and dominating in any discipline.
In addition to his athletic exploits, Chad has helped over 50 athletes earn Division 1 athletic scholarships since 2009 and worked with many NFL Players and Olympians. Chad is the author of The Juggernaut Method and The Juggernaut Method 2.0.
Ready for the Takeover?
Yesterday I competed in the Beast of the Bluegrass meet in Lawrenceburg, KY. I flew into Lexington on Thursday evening and spent some time with one of my favorite people, Molly Galbraith, of Girls Gone Strong and J&M Strength & Conditioning. Friday, Brandon got me from Lexington to head over to weigh in. I weighed [...]
The week of a meet is always boring and since this is my 4th competition this year I have had a bunch of boring weeks haha. To be honest I have been so busy this year with Juggernaut stuff that I haven’t been nearly as anxious about meets as normal, which may mean I’m not [...]
1) Floor Press Up to 315x4x5 2a) Band Face Pulls 5×20 2b) Band Pushdowns 5×20 Quick easy day, then headed to my chiro to get my hamstring and back worked on. Not sprinting for over a year and then just jumping right back into it induced a whole new kind of soreness, I wouldn’t suggest [...]
Quick and easy squat workout… Squat-3×3 at 405, no belt Then my football players were training and I decided to let them have some fun instead of just running tempos. They played a game I call “medball rugby” with is just a rugby kinda game, with only lateral/backward passes allowed and using a 5kg medball. [...]
Will be competing in my first Highland Games on memorial day, so I figured I should practice a little… 1) Shot Put w/ 16 pounds Non-reverse stands x4-5, 47ish’ best Reverse stands x4-5, 50ish’ best Glides x4-5, 55ish’ best Spins x4-5, 55ish’ best Didn’t feel too bad about how this went considering I haven’t touched [...]
1) Bench Bar x50 135×10 185×8 225×5 275×3 315×3 365×2 405×1 425×1 445×1 465×1 Had planned to go to 485 but was feeling a lot of pressure in my left pec. 2) DB Chest Supported Rows 10×10 at 85s 3a) DB Front Raises 3×10 3b) DB Hammer Curls 3×10 3c) Band Pushdowns 3×20 3d) Band [...]
Body has just been feeling beat up lately. Trying to do a better job with my warmups, like actually doing some, and continuing to get treatment 3x/week but am considering bumping it up to 5x because frankly I’m so big that 3 54-60min session per week just isn’t enough time to treat all my parts… [...]
How Do I Peak For A Meet? How Long Should Your Training Sessions Last?
Getting that pump on… 1) Closegrip Bench 225×5 275×5 315×5 365×5 405×5 455×5 w/ Slingshot 365×10 w/ Slingshot 275×20 w/ Slingshot Also did 15-20 band face pulls between each of these sets to help combat my bicep tendonitis. 2a) Upper Back Jack (90/90s, Bentover Flies, Military Press) 5×10 of each with 20-40# DBs. Do 10 [...]
1) Squat 135×10 225×5 315×5 405×3 Everything up to this point has felt like GARBAGE. Tight in the knees and back, body just feels creaky. Hmm, maybe I should warmup or something. 495×2 585×1 675×1 Still feel like poop. Add 2.5m Wraps 775×1 825×1 My technique just feels so off, shaky and unstable on the [...]
First day back training after the Las Vegas show. Gonna just get a week and a half of training in, then a deload into the Kentucky meet. I’m definitely looking forward to getting a real training cycle in after this meet, as I prepare for Australia… 1) Bench, pause 1″ off chest Up to…405×2 425×2 [...]
I sucked… Ok, I guess I’ll go more in depth than that. My best friend Paul and I headed out to Vegas from OC at 6am on Saturday morning, maybe not the best idea but its what needed to happen with work on Friday afternoon and what not. Very quick drive to Vegas, made it [...]
1) Squat Bar x Lots 135×10 225×8 315×5 405×3 495×2 585×1 675×1, this felt like 900 and had me in my own head about being overtrained. Add Knee Wraps 765×1 785×1 815×1, this didn’t feel great but is only 10# off my PR. I’m a little beat up right now from both a physical and [...]
1) Bench, Pause 1″ off Chest Bar x Lots 135x2x10 185×8 225×5 275×3 315×2 365×1 405×2 430×2 455×1, missed 2nd rep about 3″ from lockout. Bicep tendinitis in left arm/shoulder was screaming pretty good at this point 2) Speed Closegrip Floor Press 315x5x3 3) DB Chest Supported Row, staying very strict, really trying to retract [...]
Last real event day before Sin City Strongman… 1) Yoke Walk to Keg Carry-20m of each 550 to 250 x2 rounds 650 to 250 x2 rounds 740 to 250 x2 rounds 830 to 250 x1.5 rounds, strained my calf halfway on the 2nd round. Nothing too serious, but no reason to push it at this [...]
1) Deficit Pull from 1.5″ Deficit, no belt Keeping the deficit lower so it doesn’t mess with my fragile technique too much. Warmed up to… 520x2x3 580x2x3 620×3 All these felt solid. Learning to drive with my legs. 2) 3 Count Pause Squats, no belt Warmed up to 495×3 515×3 545×3 585×3 605×3 Weight felt [...]
Had a guy come in and train with me today, Adam Eriksen, who competed in the meet at SuperTraining so hopefully we can help each other out some… 1) Bench, pause 1″ off chest Bar xLots 135×10 185×8 225×5 275×3 315×2 365×1 385×3 405×3 425×3, all the heavy sets felt pretty good. That was a [...]
1) 1000# Tire Flip to 300# Keg Carry 3 Flips to 12m carry x2 rounds 25m of Flips to 25m Carry, finished this in 56 seconds. It was a pretty smooth run. I think with the adrenaline and lighter tire at the contest I can dip under 50 seconds and contend for the win in [...]
Took the week off of training after the meet, was really busy breaking Facebook. First day of this lil training block for Sin City Strongman on April 20th. I really like the events at this show and know that I can finish in the top 2 and earn my spot at Giant’s live… 1) Log [...]
Lots of discussion happening all over about this article… http://jtsstrength.com/articles/2013/03/25/why-speed-work-doesnt-work/ but lets be real, most of that discussion isn’t really about the contents of Mike Tuchscherer’s article, it is about Westside and Raw vs Gear. Before I throw in a couple cents about that, my opinion on Mike’s article is that Mike is a great [...]